Mā‘alaea—The Untold Story of Maui’s Historic Crossroads
By Lucienne de Naie
With Rita Goldman
Published by Mā‘alaea Village Association with funding from the County of Maui Office of Economic Development, Maui Ocean Center, and Maui Chapter of the Sierra Club
Mā‘alaea—The Untold Story of Maui’s Historic Crossroads documents the seminal role Mā‘alaea Village has played in shaping the history of Maui from ancient to modern times. This engaging 208-page softcover pictorial book features numerous contemporary images and historically significant archival materials.
- Mā‘alaea as a centuries-old Hawaiian fishing village—once home to a prominent heiau and one of the island’s largest collections of petroglyphs—whose canoe landing served as a portal to Maui for Hawaiian kings and warriors.
- Its days as a busy mid-19th-century harbor, with a hotel for disembarking steamship passengers and facilities (including a railroad) serving Waikapū Sugar Company’s plantation and mill.
- Its early-20th-century Japanese fishing village and Shinto shrine.
- Mā‘alaea as the site of Maui’s first commercial airport, and a WWII training area.
Later chapters bring the story of Mā’alaea into modern times, including the creation of the Hawaiian Humpback National Marine Sanctuary, Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge, Maui Ocean Center, and Pacific Whale Foundation. The book also includes the contributions of Mā‘alaea Village Association and the former Mā‘alaea Community Association in advocating for the community.
The book offers something for every reader. For residents and those with knowledge of Maui, it’s a chance to dive deeper into the untold history of Ma’alaea. Students and scholars will find many archived news stories, along with a glossary and index. For Maui visitors, the book will inspire you to learn more about this unique community, and its many beautiful photos and illustrations makes it an enjoyable souvenir.
Retail price: $24.95, with book proceeds dedicated to Mā‘alaea restoration projects, including the Pohakea watershed and Ma`alaea Bay.
Copies of the book are being donated to Maui County schools and libraries.
Visit These Local Businesses to purchase your copy!
- Maui Ocean Treasures at the Maui Ocean Center – available in-store or for mail-order purchases. Click here for order information.
- Maalaea General Store
- Pacific Whale Foundation
- Humpback Marine Sanctuary
- Kealia Pond NWR
- A&B Sugar Museum
- Bailey House Museum
- Friends of Library