Ma’alaea Village Association is pleased to provide this page as a service to our members and the public in general as resource to help find various studies and presentations related to the Ma’alaea area. This page was added in February, 2021, and is a work in progress. If you would like to recommend additional content for this page, please send an email with the appropriate hyperlink to email@example.com
Ma’alaea Bay Coral Studies and related topics:
- “Status of Maui’s Coral Reefs”, short summary published by the State of Hawaii, Division of Aquatic Resources.
- “An Evaluation of Causal Factors Affecting Coral Reef Community Structure in Ma’alaea Bay“, June 29, 2011, study funded by the County of Maui.
- Click here to be directed to the USGS website of Maui coral reef studies
- “Pohakea Watershed Storm Water Management Plan“, November 16,2018, prepared for Maui Nui Marine Resource Council, a plan to reduce sediment run-off into Ma’alaea Bay.
- “Aquatic Ecosystems of Kealia Floodplain and Maalaea Bay, Maui“, 1971, Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology.
- “Diuron from Maui Sugarcane Field Runoff is Potentially Harmful to Local Reefs“, by Royer, Tester and Stewart, 2014
- “West Maui Fire and Erosion Control“, HI Division of Forestry and Wildlife, 2021.
- “AN EVALUATATION OF CAUSAL FACTORS AFFECTING CORAL REEF COMMUNITY STRUCTURE IN MA‘ALAEA BAY, MAUI, HAWAII”, Marine Research Consultants Inc, June 29, 2011
- “HAWAII REGIONAL SEDIMENT MANAGEMENT KAHULUI AND KIHEI REGIONS”, US Army Corp of Engineers and HI DLNR, Feb 16, 2011
- “Inventory catalog of HI Reefs 1900 to 1979“, various authors, issued in 2002
- “Atlas of the Reefs of West Maui“, 2020, The Nature Conservancy/NOAA
Coastal Erosion and Maalaea Harbor Studies
- “Ma’alaea Harbor Impacts on Shoreline Erosion of Ma’alaea Bay Beach, Maui, Hi“, by Dr. Hany Elwany, Coastal Engineering, November, 2020.
- “Jenkins & Jenkins letter to DLNR”, December, 2020, regarding Ma’alaea Harbor Impacts on Shoreline Erosion of Ma’alaea Bay Beach (see above)
- “National Assessment of Shoreline Change: Historical Shoreline Change in the Hawaiian Islands“, USGS, 2012
- Beach Restoration “whitepaper”, Hawaii Shore and Beach Preservation Association (HSBPA), 2014
- “Managing Maui’s Dynamic Shorelines“, Tara Owens, 2020
- “Kanai A Nalu Beach Management & Erosion Response Plan“, Sea Engineering Inc, 2019
- “Kanai A Nalu: Beach Replenishment, Monitoring Results, and Erosion Control Options“, Zoe Norcross, circa 2003(?)
- “Updated Wave Response of Proposed Improvements to the Small Boat Harbor at Maalaea“, US Army Corps of Engineers, 1998
- “Investigation for Providing Wave Protection in Concert with Preserving the Maalaea Pipeline at Maalaea Harbor“, US Army Corps of Engineers, 2002
- “DRAFT SUPPLEMENTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT FOR MAALAEA HARBOR FOR LIGHT-DRAFT VESSELS“, US Army Engineers and HDOT, 1992
- “Beach Management Plan for Maui”, June 2008, County of Maui
- “Hawaiʻi Sea Level Rise Vulnerability and Adaptation Report“, December 2017, State of Hawaii DLNR
- “Shifting shorelines and political winds“, December 2021, by Thorne Abbott
- “Stable Road Beach Restoration Project“, Sprecklesville, Maui, 2013, by State of Hawaii
Community Development Plans and Historical Information
- Kihei 701 Civic Development Plan, 1971
- “A Cultural History Overview of the Kahoma Stream Flood Control Project, Lahaina, Maui and the Ma’alaea Small Boat Harbor Project, Ma’alaea“, Joerger & King, 1979
- Maalaea General Store, National Registry of Historic Places Registration Form, 2011
Shoreline Permitting Information