Ma’alaea Village Association is pleased to provide this page as a service to our members and the public in general as resource to help find various studies and presentations related to the Ma’alaea area. This page was added in February, 2021, and is a work in progress. If you would like to recommend additional content for this page, please send an email with the appropriate hyperlink to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ma’alaea Bay Coral Studies and related topics:
- “Status of Maui’s Coral Reefs”, short summary published by the State of Hawaii, Division of Aquatic Resources.
- “An Evaluation of Causal Factors Affecting Coral Reef Community Structure in Ma’alaea Bay“, June 29, 2011, study funded by the County of Maui.
- Click here to be directed to the USGS website of Maui coral reef studies
- “Pohakea Watershed Storm Water Management Plan“, November 16,2018, prepared for Maui Nui Marine Resource Council, a plan to reduce sediment run-off into Ma’alaea Bay.
- “Aquatic Ecosystems of Kealia Floodplain and Maalaea Bay, Maui“, 1971, Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology.
- “Diuron from Maui Sugarcane Field Runoff is Potentially Harmful to Local Reefs“, by Royer, Tester and Stewart, 2014
- “West Maui Fire and Erosion Control“, HI Division of Forestry and Wildlife.
Coastal Erosion Studies
- “Ma’alaea Harbor Impacts on Shoreline Erosion of Ma’alaea Bay Beach, Maui, Hi“, by Dr. Hany Elwany, Coastal Engineering, November, 2020.
- “National Assessment of Shoreline Change: Historical Shoreline Change in the Hawaiian Islands“, USGS, 2012
Community Development Plans